Greek Yogurt with Honey!
Apt as an afternoon snack, a nourishing breakfast, or a healthy dessert, this simple dish balances the light sweetness of honey, the rich savor of Greek yogurt, and the earthiness of roasted nuts in a flavorful medley with perfect poise.
Simplify, simplify, simplify – and create a beautiful bowl full of sweet, nourishing, creamy-fresh goodness in minutes with this recipe!
Based off of a traditional Greek dish, Yiaourti me meli or, quite simply,
yogurt with honey pairs the rich tanginess of strained yogurt with the sweetly subtle complexity of honey. The blend of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats in this dish, not to mention its heart-and-gut-healthy nutrients, make it an ideal source of energy to start the day or recover from a workout. Bright spices and honey intrigue the senses while providing antioxidants to strengthen and protect the body’s systems. The dish lends itself to improvisation, should you decide to experiment – or even create a yogurt buffet at your next gathering*!
(*Socially distancing for now!)
Recipe makes 2 servings
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 2 Cups strained Greek yogurt
- We use a blend of Fage 0% and 5% to balance high protein content with creamy smoothness, selecting Fage due to the brand’s simple
ingredients (only milk and cream!) and fidelity to traditional Greek
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
- Choose South Georgia pecans for a sustainable option that supports
our regional economy! See our Notes below for instructions on roasting the pecans or walnuts– an especially delicious, savory twist that takes this dish to the next level!
- 1/4 cup Weeks Honey
- Lighter honey varieties, such as Alapaha or Clover, compliment the
richness of the yogurt better than our darker varieties.
I N S T R U C T I O N S
1. Divide the yogurt evenly between two bowls.
2. Spoon the honey over the yogurt. You may choose to stir the honey in with the yogurt, or leave it drizzled on top to show off its lovely golden color.
3. Sprinkle the cinnamon and turmeric over the honey-yogurt blend.
4. Toss a handful of pecans or walnuts into each bowl.
5. Stir the ingredients together or leave layered for a lovely display. Serve immediately.
6. Enjoy – or, as the Greeks would say, Kalí óreksi!
Recipe and Photos Provided by Katherine Russell