I N G R E D I E N T S
- Short ribs, 2 to 3 per person
- 2 cups celery, small dice
- 1 cup shallots, chopped coarsely
- 5 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of Buckwheat Honey
- 1/4 cup of cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups of beef stock
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
I N S T R U C T I O N S
- Pat dry the short ribs with a paper towel and salt liberally. 2
- In a large skillet over high heat, sear the short ribs until well browned on all sides. Reduce flame to low and remove the short ribs to a plate.
- Pour out all but two tablespoons of fat remaining in the skillet. Add celery and sweat over medium low heat.
- Add shallots and garlic when the celery is nearly translucent. Continue cooking over low heat until all the vegetables are nicely translucent and the garlic in has released a cooked perfume (not burnt).
- Add all the remaining ingredients except for the beef stock and bring up to a boil.
- Place short ribs back into the pan along with any juices that have collected. Add enough beef broth to come three quarters of the way up the short ribs. Bring to a boil and then transfer to a preheated 325 degree F oven.
- Oven-braise for one and a half to two hours, or until meat is about to fall off the bone.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.